We members of the female gender have had to put up with a lot of crap lately. The media’s reporting a “war on women”, and while I don’t like sensationalism or hyperbole, I have to admit it really does feel like that’s the case sometimes. The open hostility toward women is coming from all directions, including Rush Limbaugh, Rick Santorum, several state legislatures from Virginia to Oklahoma to my home state of Florida, and even some prominent female media figures and celebrities. It’s getting ugly out there, y’all.
So, in an attempt to give a supportive shout-out to all my sistas out there who might be feeling a little beat down right now, and in recognition of International Women’s Day, I’d like to offer tributes to several strong women, inspiring women, talented women, and funny women. Let’s allow their examples to guide us through this craziness, make us smile for a minute or two, and renew our resolve to kick anyone who tries to give us an unwanted transvaginal probe right in the nutsack. 🙂
1. Joan Jett – A kick-ass rocker and an amazing human being:
2. Maya Angelou – an abiding inspiration to millions.
3. Margaret Cho – Betch, puh-LEEZE. Miss Margaret tells it like it is always, she is herself always, and she encourages everyone around her to be themselves always. I love that about her.
4. Nina Simone – A woman who raised her extraordinary voice without ever acknowledging fear or boundaries.
5. Loretta Lynn – Another singular voice. She was using her music to speak out about the value of contraception decades ago. I guess she’s a slut too, huh, Rush?
6. Audrey Hepburn – The very personification of grace, as an actress and as a humanitarian.
7. Wanda Sykes – Makes her point and makes you laugh at the same time.
8. Rosa Parks – Sometimes I wonder if I, or anyone else I know, would have the guts and the character to do what she did, if we were ever to find ourselves in her position that day in Montgomery. I do know it takes a lot to fight the system the way she did, and the world was lucky that she had it in her.
If I had an unlimited amount of time today, I could go on and on with the names and contributions of many other women of note. But I don’t have that kind of time, so I’ll just say that I owe a great debt to so many of them, and though I don’t always take the time to think about that fact, I’m making time to do it today. I hope all the ladies out there will do the same.